When you are working in Zoho CRM, typically the first point of contact that a potential customer has with you is as a Lead. From here you either need to Qualify them out (Junk Lead, Not Qualified, Unable to do business, etc.) or Qualify them in. When you Qualify them in you then need to convert them to an Account, Contact and Deal (assuming B2B). Whilst it is not an onerous job, customers do ask us how do I automatically convert a Lead in Zoho CRM? The answer is using a Workflow Rule.
Note: Earlier versions of Zoho CRM have the Deal Module named as Potentials. Customers usually change the Deal / Potentials modules to Opportunities.
What Are Zoho CRM Workflow Rules?
Zoho CRM Workflow Rules are also called automation. When certain criteria are met then Zoho CRM automatically triggers one or more actions. Zoho CRM Workflows can be used to automatically create tasks, send an email, update a field, convert a Lead and more. For 1 Cloud Consultants Zoho CRM Workflow Rules is where the system starts getting really powerful and reduces the workload for Users by automating certain actions. If you have never created a Workflow rule before, then you may want to email us for assistance or raise a support request so that we can do it on your behalf.
Setting The Criteria For The Workflow
The first part of the process is setting a Criteria for when the Workflow Rule will run. In Simple terms this is a field on the CRM system, that when it contains certain data then the Workflow Rule will be triggered. In this example we are going to use the system field called "Lead Status". This is a picklist of options and one of the options will be Convert. When the Lead Status field is updated to Convert then the Workflow Rule will run.
Creating The Zoho CRM Workflow Rule
If you have never created a Workflow rule before, then you may want to email us for assistance or raise a support request so that we can do it on your behalf. The steps are as follows:
- Go to: Setup - Automation - Workflow Rules
- Select Create Rule
- Select Leads as the Module
- In Rule Name give the Zoho CRM Workflow Rule a meaningful name, for example "Leads - Automatically Convert A Lead"
- Description is optional but it is best practice to give a brief overview of what the Workflow does. That way when you or a colleague reviews the Workflow rule sometime in the future it is quick and easy to understand what the Zoho CRM Workflow Rule does
On the next screen, under the option "When do you want to execute this rule?" - select "on record Action" - "Field Update"
Then Select "Lead Status" as the field
Click on All in the phrase "Execute the rule when All of the selected fields are updated". This will change All to Any.
- Next you can select it for specific Leads or all Leads. In this example we only want the Zoho CRM Workflow Rule to run when Lead Status is equal to Convert. You can use this option to be specific, for example When Lead Status is Convert and Record Owner is John Smith.
- When you select Next, you are then telling Zoho CRM what to do. You select an Instant Action - Convert.
- This brings up a Pop Up which asks what you would like to Convert the Lead to. By default it selects Contact and Account. You can also select Deal to automatically create a Deal with default values.
- By default the Lead Record owner will be the new record owner of the records created, but you can choose to change the Record Owner to a new Record Owner.